Wednesday, July 11, 2007

There's Nothing Like a Gown Day Every Once in a While


Frank decided to play golf today, so that left me with many hours all to myself here at the condo. I got up bright and early, showered, slipped back into my caftan and decided that I would take it easy, stay home and paint. Even though he left me the car, I didn't really want to go anywhere, so I had what I call a gown day. That's when you don't put on any makeup and just lounge around the house doing a whole lot of nothing. However, instead of doing nothing, I decided to work on a painting that I have had in mind for a long time. It's an "Old Pawn" cross that has been in the family for years and I was fortunate enough to fall heir to it. It's made of hand hammered sterling silver and has a large cabochon coral in the center of it. I wear it a lot and always get compliments when I do, so I decided to paint it. If someone would like to purchase the painting, they can have a little piece of New Mexico history in modern day form. If you remember,Frank's ancestor's helped settle the state of New Mexico, so he's very familiar with the Native Americans and their history. If you would like more information about the painting, you can Email me and I will give you the size and the price. Here is a little info on Old Pawn jewelry. It was used for trading for the most part.
In times past, the people of this area made, wore, and treasured their jewelry as not only a thing of adornment, a protector of good health, but also as portable wealth. They still do so - the lucky ones. Not having ready access to banks, or cash money, this jewelry would often serve as the family "reserve" or "emergency" fund. In times of need, this jewelry could be easily used as security with an authorized trader (pawned) for cash to meet the current crisis. Then, when the crops came in, or the sheep were shorn - or whatever - the jewelry could be redeemed and take its place back in the family. Unfortunately, on occasion this jewelry would not be redeemed as planned. The lender would keep it for the agreed amount of time, and if the loan were not paid off by the agreed date, the Pawn Shop, or Trader, would be authorized to sell the jewelry.
And, often, when the elders of the family die, the items are pawned, and the money is divided up within the family. Americans do basically the same thing, except we call it "Probate" and a large part may go to some lawyer somewhere.
That's about it for today. I've had a wonderful, lazy day and will be rested for our evening out with our friends. Frank had a great day at the golf course, so we're both happy campers.
Later! Pcasso

3 comments:

Margie Whittington said...

Very, very, nice, Picasso!!
Love the colors.
Margie

Nancy Standlee said...

A girl has to work sometime..glad you've decided to and it looks great.

gotyme4u said...

I thought I recognized that cross. It's good that you're getting painting time there in the Land of Enchantment. Hip Hip Hooray for gown days!