Friday, July 20, 2007

That Old Gang of Mine


Time always flies when you're having fun. Frank and Larry are still fishing, so tonight Beverly and I planned a little dinner party and we met with three other ladies that were very dear friends of mine when we lived in Raton. The five of us had not been together for over 40 years, so it was a great time for telling stories on each other, reminiscing and catching up on each other's lives. I always refer to them as "the girls" but it also brings to mind a story about my Godmother. When I was about 12, my Godmother who lived in Harlingen, Texas, invited me to their ranch for a visit. I had heard her talk about her circle of friends, "The Girls", for years. When I thought about them in my minds eye, they were just that ... girls. When I finally had the opportunity to meet them I was shocked! They were all in their early 60's and not girls at all. They were older women! I'm sure if Ian and Connor would meet the women I call "The Girls" they would feel the same way. Of course, in our hearts, we'll always be girls. Such is life.
We 5 "girls" have all been through a lot of similar experiences ... the loss of husbands for two of them, children for 3 of us ... together we have a multitude of grandchildren. We talked and talked about how things were when we still lived here, the Country Club and the parties we attended, bridge clubs, both social and civic clubs we belonged to ... They finally ran us out of the restaurant at nearly 10:00. It was a great reunion.
Nancy, to my left in the photograph, gave me a baby shower when I was expecting Franklin 44 years ago and the others were so excited as it was the first baby shower they had been to in years. I'm about 10 years younger than several of them, so baby showers were a thing of the past in their circles.
Bev came down to the house at noon today and we fixed sandwiches here since we knew that we would be going out tonight for a big meal. I was lazy today ... didn't paint and just read, watched a little TV and had a couple of cap naps during the day. We had a hard rain last night and it was very cool here, so that helped contribute to my laziness.
The boys will be home tomorrow and I'll really be glad to see them. I've enjoyed this little time to myself, but I always miss Frank so much and anxiously await his homecoming. I'm very tired so I'm off to bed. Thanks for tuning in.
Pcasso

2 comments:

Margie Whittington said...

What a good time in the old town last night!!!! Sounds like you and the "Girls" got caught up on each others lives. I know that was fun. The "Girls" at home are looking forward to your return.
Love,
Margie

Pcasso said...

And I am looking forward to my return as well!