Monday, June 25, 2007

Broken Bow and Other Destinations

The past few days have been very busy. We traveled to Oklahoma so some of the men in the family could go fly fishing. It was a fruitful trip. Ian and Franklin learned how to fly fish (Boompa has been fly fishing for years), so now it has turned into a family affair. Ian's guide said that he fished like an 18 year old. He was amazed that it was his first time on hte stream. He's a real natural and looked great in all his gear. Guess all those years "fishing" in our swimming pool paid off ;-)
Beth and I stayed home and played card games while Connor played his electronic game which is his favorite thing to do. He's not much of an outdoor person, so he stayed on the couch most of the time playing games that I can't even comprehend and watching cartoons.
They boys went swimming at a swimming hole, visited a museum which was very interesting and they did a few things with their folks while the old folks rested up. It takes a lot of energy to keep a 7 & 9 year old entertained all the time. Where did the days of jump rope, hop scotch, hide and seek, kick the can, telling ghost stories and those kinds of games go? I always loved to play outside on a summer evening when I was a little girl. My mother had to call me a million times before I would come in. Didn't want to leave the other young people in the neighborhood. It was such fun to have to use your imagination and come up with things to do, but that seems to be a thing of the past now that it's an electronic age. Sad.
One thing from the past did emerge, however. You could see fire flies at night (we called then lightin' bugs when I was little) and the boys loved that. We don't seem to have them in thte city anymore. Probably too much pollution. That's also sad.
We are home for less than 24 hours and we will head for New Mexico and Colorado. That gives me just enough time to secure the house for a month, re-pack, clean the refrigerator, turn everything off and get ready to hit the road. I'll be taking my laptop with me, so I won't be completely out of touch.
I've included a photograph of the resort where we'll be staying in Taos for a couple of days before we go on to our condo in Santa Fe. Frank surprised me and booked us into El Monte Sagrado Living Resort and Spa in Taos. It's a wonderful place and we can't wait to get there. You can check it out at
http://www.fivestaralliance.com/luxury_hotel/taos%2C_nm/el_monte_sagrado_living_resort_and_spa if you want the whole overview.
You can also see Franklin and Ian fishing in Oklahoma. We had a wonderful time with the family and are looking forward to another short trip together as a family unit in October.
I'll blog again in a few days. Better finish the laundry and packing again. It will be a busy day before we can leave, but we'll have lots of time for R&R when we reach our destinations.
I'll send more photos along the way of the upcoming part of our summer retreat. we have a lot of parties to attend in Santa Fe plus a big pancake breakfast on the Plaza to celebrate the 4th followed by a private party at some friends house that they have every year... about 100 people for a cocktail brunch. A lot of local artists and entertainers will be there so that is always fun.
Have a happy end of June and I'll be back atcha soon :-)
Pcasso

2 comments:

Connie Michael said...

More proof that the Salazar family knows how to have fun! I absolutely love fly fishing and would have been right out there with the guys. Mind you, I've never CAUGHT one .... :)

I'm glad you're taking your laptop so we can keep up with your escapades. Have a blast! Meanwhile, safe journey, you two.


Connie

Pcasso said...

We DO know how to enjoy ourselves. We'll be thinking about you when we're in the high desert in the Land of Enchantment. Behave yourself :-)
Pcasso