Monday, March 3, 2008

SEEING STARS, MUSICAL CHAIRS AND THE DUMP!

As most of you know, we have a wonderful older grandson who will celebrate his 30th birthday this year and his name is Nicholas. He's a tiny little thing ... has now grown to the amazing height of 6'8!!! He makes me feel like a dwarf ( and I'm standing up straight)

Here he is with Frank who is 6' tall, so you can see what I mean!


Frank has become a big Stars fan (that's Dallas' hockey team for you non-sports fans) and Nicholas and his sister are fans as well.

Last weekend he and his sister, Rachel, and their spouses went to a Stars game and he entered into a game on the ice called Musical Chairs. We all played it at birthday parties when were little, but not on the ice!!! Here is his rendition of what happened last Saturday night:


Here's how it all went down. Rachel, Matt, and a few of their friends went to the game, as well as Dayna. The only pics are of Rachel and me. We showed up about a half hour early to see the players warm up, and when we walked in a rep for the Stars intermission entertainment committee approached us. They wanted Matt instead of me because he was wearing a jersey, but Matt could not participate due to his back. I had to beg, but they let me sign up on the contingency that I would wear his jersey or buy a Stars shirt. So Dayna bought me a nice All Star polo on clearance, and we were good to go. After all of that, the advertiser for the event (The Dump) had supplied t-shirts for us to wear.



There were five players total, and we played during the 2nd intermission. I had to do some pushing and shoving (and kicking of inflated chairs), but I came out victorious.

Rachel was knocked out in the first round, and unfortunately did not receive a gift card.

I got a $500 gift card to "The Dump," and an invite back for the musical chair finals. Apparently the finals will award $1500 to the winner, but I don't know if it is cash or a gift card. I can't wait.
The Dump is a furniture store in the Fort Worth/Dallas area and they also carry all sorts of appliances, so he and Dayna can put the gift certificate to good use. To quote the Dallas Morning News, "You won't find any rubbish at the Dump. You will, however, discover some fabulous deals on a constantly changing inventory of off-price dining, living room and bedroom furniture, rugs, leather upholstery, mattresses and more.
The Virginia-based company brings its value-oriented concept to Irving with a 150,000-square-foot store opening (unofficially) Feb. 23. The grand opening is planned for March 9. The name reflects the retailer's no-frills approach, meaning that it essentially dumps all unnecessary costs. With little overhead and limited hours of operation, the Dump's buyers shop furniture markets around the world and are constantly hunting down deals, seizing little-used castoffs from manufacturers' showrooms, overstock inventories and bankruptcy situations."

As an innocent onlooker, I wouldn't want to tangle with Nicholas. He's big enough to win any argument :-)

I know he's excited about the finals. Hope we get to see him on the ice again and I hope that he wins!
XOXO, Pcasso









No comments: