Saturday, March 15, 2008

PAINTINGS, THE PASSION, A PARTY & ST. PATRICK'S DAY

This has been a very busy week for me. My week always starts with exercise bright and early on Monday morning. That gets me in a good frame of mind to begin my week.

We finished the book that we have been reading in my Book/Bible study group about Christ as a child that morning. Since Holy Week is next week, we are going to take a break before we start the next book which I think will prove to be very interesting.

I'm a bit of a cheapskate, so I ordered it used from Amazon. If you have never done that, I would highly recommend it. I also order used DVD's and CD's. So far (and I've been doing this for over a year), when they arrive they are always brand new.... some still encased in plastic that has never been opened! I think companies must have overstock and they sell things through Amazon.com. I've been very pleased with what I've purchased. They always list the condition the item is in and also rate the seller from customer feedback. What a deal!!!
Our parish is getting ready to do have some work done on the building and one of the projects is new lighting for the Nave. Our Rector, Father Kresowaty, is having some difficulty reading Holy Scripture when he brings the Gospel into the congregation due to the lighting being pretty dim in that area of the church, so when we were in Arkansas last week at the Diamond Mine, I bought him a Miner's hat and presented it to him at the parish dinner on Wednesday evening. When I told him that I had an announcement that I wanted to make, he got a little nervous about it. No one likes unexpected announcements, but I assured him that this would be a fun thing. I hope he thought so!

After the parish dinner, rather than having a speaker as we have had the past few weeks, we had Dramatic Stations of the Cross. Several parish members reenacted this time in Christ's life and it was very moving. The Stations of the Cross (or Way of the Cross, also called the Via Dolorosa or Way of Sorrows, or simply, The Way) refers to the depiction of the final hours (or Passion) of Jesus, and the devotion commemorating the Passion. The tradition as chapel devotion began with St. Francis of Assisi and extended throughout the Roman Catholic Church in the medieval period. It is often observed in Anglicanism, and Lutheranism as well. It may be done at any time, but is most commonly done during the Season of Lent, especially on Good Friday and on Friday evenings during Lent. We will have the Stations again on Good Friday at St. Alban's.
The object of the Stations is to help the faithful to make a spiritual pilgrimage of prayer, through meditating upon the chief scenes of Christ's sufferings and death.



I had the privilege of being the reader for this wonderful time of meditation and prayer. As next week is Holy Week, it was the perfect introduction to get us ready spiritually for the coming events. Father Matkin, our Associate Priest, arranged this special presentation and he did an excellent job. Everyone that was there was very touched by this solemn and reverent time. I hope it will become a tradition to have the stations presented in this way from time to time.

On Thursday I had another private art lesson. I'm trying to "loosen" up with my acrylic painting but I don't know that I really like this particular painting that I did. I consider it practice and a learning experience (that's how I explain a bad job). My teacher, Vern Johnson, is an excellent painter. I hope to learn some of his style but so far I'm still at a loss. I was working from one of his drawings. If you look at the two, hopefully you can see a little similarity.






Below is one of his paintings that is on his web page and you can see how good he is. I have a LONG way to go!




All I can do is continue to practice, practice, practice. Isn't that supposed to make one perfect??? ;-)

I painted a new rooster last week and sold him almost before the paint was dry!


When another "patron" of mine (I just love to say that) saw it she also wanted it. Since it was sold, I offered to paint her another one that was similar or she could purchase the one below that I had painted a few months ago. She opted for the other one and I hope that she likes it.




They each have their own personalities. I love them both and know that they will be happy in their new homes. As I have said before, my paintings are like my children. I hate to part with them, but it's so much easier when I know that they are going to be in a good home. These two paintings will be in some of the best homes I know of.

Last night we went over to a friend's house for drinks and then out to dinner to a little Italian restaurant. The food was wonderful and the company even better!


We have all been friends for the past 40+ years, so it's always a good time when we get together.


We have traveled together, played tennis together when we were still able, been in organizations together (two of us in the group started the Junior Woman's Club in Arlington many many years ago), belonged to dance clubs together ... we have just had fun together in general and last night was no exception.


We even ended the evening discussing politics and are still all very good friends! There was a lot of lively conversation around the table and a good time was had by all. One couple is relatively new to the group and they are newlyweds.


They are such lovely people. I'm so glad that I have had the pleasure of knowing them. They are a wonderful addition to any gathering.
Guess I'd better go and get Papa up and fix him a little breakfast. We have church tomorrow and since Monday is St. Patrick's Day, I will have a BIG surprise for you later in the week.




It was also my Father's birthday, so it will always remain a very special time of memories for me.

If he were still alive he would be 104 years young. I can't imagine. I still think of him this way (when smoking was the thing to do). At least it made a wonderful prop for photographs!

He was a very handsome man and I still miss him very much.

The only hint I will give you about Monday is that it will be related to music.

Until then," May the road rise up to meet you.May the wind always be at your back.May the sun shine warm upon your face,and rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again,May God hold you in the palm of His hand."



XOXO, Pcasso

1 comment:

Margie Whittington said...

You have been one very busy lady!!!! Love all your pictures and the photo of your Dad. What a handsome man. Thanks Pcasso for all the interesting pros, pictures and paintings. Keep em coming.
maw