Sunday, February 24, 2008

LANDSCAPES, DIFFA AND SKATEPARKS

This has been a very busy weekend. I started it off by going to my studio and trying to paint something that is my own work. I took the instruction that I was given in my lesson last week and this is what I came up with.


The painting that I did with Vern is much more subdued and I love the coloration in it, but once I got started on this landscape, I got really involved with bright colors and I think I like the end result.

I painted from early morning until late afternoon when the boys arrived with skateboards in hand. They wanted their Boompa to take them to a Skatepark so they could improve their skills on their boards. Needless to say, they aren't as skilled as this "boarder" and I hope they never are!

I opted to stay here and start dinner preparations instead. The park is in Kennedale, Texas, so off they went. It took them forever to find it since the driving directions on the Internet were inaccurate and the people there don't always answer their phone. Boompa is much more patient than I am. I think I would have given up and come back home!

They had a good time and when they returned, they jumped into the Jacuzzi while Frank and I finished preparing dinner for them. We had steak, corn on the cob, artichokes, biscuits and chocolate sundae's for dessert. They had worked up a hearty appetite, so it was well worth the effort to prepare this meal for them.

The reason we have the boys this weekend is because their folks are at a very worthwhile benefit at the Anatole Hotel in Dallas called DIFFA which stands for Design Industries Foundation Fighting AIDS. It is one of the country’s largest supporters of direct care for people living with HIV/AIDS and preventive education for those at risk. Merging care and commerce, supporters of DIFFA come from all fields of fine design and the visual arts, including: architecture, fashion design, interior design, photography and consumer product design.
With fundraising efforts bolstered by strategic partnerships and unique events showcasing innovation and creativity, DIFFA has mobilized the immense resources of the design communities and granted over $35 million to hundreds of AIDS service organizations nationwide.
The 2008 gala, dubbed Cinéma de la vie, took place last night(one month earlier than usual) at the Hilton Anatole Hotel with Neale Jones serving his second time as event chairman. On the block: More than 100 redesigned Arizona jean jackets by returning favorites such as Geoffrey Henning and Nicolas Villalba, as well as national names such as Nicole Miller, Kenneth Cole and Badgley Mischka.


Franklin and Beth both looked wonderful for the big event and I can't wait for their return so I can hear all about it. They go for the weekend every year and always really enjoy themselves. It's great fun to get all dolled up for a weekend in Dallas and this was one of those special times.

Poor little Harry spends most of his time at the window just waiting for his folks to come back. It's been a long wait. We gave him some steak to help pass the time and so how I don't think he really cares when they return if he keeps getting special food!



I'm going to fix breakfast for the boys and then get ready for church. I hope that you have a great rest of the weekend and a good week ahead of you.

XOXO, Pcasso

3 comments:

Cindy Yandell Parker said...

That sounds like a full week end, two boys and a dog, that will keep you hopping!! Know you enjoyed them all, and even found time to paint!! bg

Cindy Campbell said...

What a full life you and Frank have. The boys are very fortunate to have you as grandparents. I like your new painting very much.

Margie Whittington said...

Love the colorful landscape painting, Pcasso!!
Your Franklin and Beth are a lovely couple!!!!
Harry is so cute looking out the window. You had a busy weekend.
Love all the info.