Thursday, February 28, 2008

FROM BIRTHDAYS TO BROADWAY - CHICAGO TO DALLAS - WHAT A RIDE!

This has been quite a month at our place. Even though our family is small, there have been a LOT of birthdays in it this month. My only cousin's widow, Marian Collins started off the month of celebrationfollowed by one of our favorite cousins on the Salazar side of the family, Elmeree Oliver. She and my mother shared the same birthday and Mom would have been 101 on the 20th! Here she is as a young flapper.My Grandmother was born on the 18th of February and would have been 131 this year. I can't imagine! She was so special to me and always thought I was perfect. How can you possibly not adore anyone who thinks you're perfect. She was my guardian angel!The next day was Rachel and Nicholas' father and my son-in-law, Bill Cowley's birthday, two days later Nick's wife, Dayna, celebrated her 29th, then on the 25th Rachel and her son Ethan (our Great-grandson) shared a birthday. It's hard to believe that he turned 13 and is now a teenager! I can't possibly be old enough to have a teenage great grandchild!The very next day the latest addition to the Salazar clan, Baby Jack, had his first birthday. Here is the card that I designed for him. Two days later his Mom, Stacie had another birthday. I just wish I had a better photograph of her because she's SO adorable. Ian had a mad crush on her for a long time several years ago. SOOO... as you can see, it's a wonderful time for celebrations in our family! What a bonus for me since I'm an only child. When I was young I had no idea that I would be connected to so many special people. Praise God for family!
Ever since I was a little girl, I have always loved dance in any form. One of my favorite styles of dance as an adult is that of Choreographer, Bob Fosse. To me it is the most sensual, suggestive form of dance that I have ever seen and I LOVE his style. It's very minimalistic but each move is so important. I am a real movie buff and I have a lot of favorite movies, but one of my favorites is "All That Jazz". The storyline is based on the life and death of Fosse. The entertainment world lost a real treasure when he succumbed to a heart attack at a young age. As a choreographer, Bob Fosse changed the course of Broadway musicals with his distinctively slinky, sexy style of dancing. Then he developed into a multimedia triple threat: in 1973 he won an Academy Award for directing the movie Cabaret (which also won a best actress Oscar for Liza Minnelli), three Emmy awards for directing, producing and choreographing Minelli's TV special Liza With a Z, and two Tony Awards for directing and choreographing the Broadway show Pippin. That feat is, so far, unmatched. Fosse's other hit Broadway shows included Sweet Charity (1965), Chicago (1975) - this is the original showbill
and Dancin' (1978). We have had the pleasure of seeing each of his productions. Fosse was married three times, most famously to his dance partner Gwen Verdon, and was also famous for his extramarital womanizing and freewheeling lifestyle. He told his own story in the semi-autobiographical movie All That Jazz (1979). A 1998 revue, Fosse, collected his most famous dance works into one show. Fosse died of a heart attack in Washington D.C. during the run of a revival of his 1965 show Sweet Charity... A 2002 film version of Chicago won the Academy Award as the year's best picture; it was directed by Rob Marshall and starred Renee Zellweger as Roxie Hart, the role originated by Verdon.
On Tuesday evening we went to Bass Hall to see the revival of "Chicago" which is another segment of the Broadway at the Bass series. It was wonderful.
I had a perpetual grin on my face for two and a half hours. It runs for another week and I would suggest that if you have ANY interest in good music and superb dancing, you'd better run right out and get your tickets. The staging is minimal but the voices, story-line and dancing are beyond criticism. It was a real feast for the eyes and when the overture started, my heart was pounding so that I thought it would burst. There is nothing like a live performance with an orchestra backing it to make me swoon. That may sound old fashioned, but that's how I feel about live performances. They're unmatched in my opinion.
To quote the Fort Worth Star Telegram: There's no business like show business -- or criminal justice. Both are brilliantly treated as one in Fred Ebb's, John Kander's and Bob Fosse's satirical Chicago.
The tour that opened in Fort Worth Tuesday is an unforgettable theater experience. You might even forget the terrific 2002 movie version.
Based on a play that journalist Maurine Dallas Watkins wrote after covering murder trials in 1920s Chicago, the musical sets up the story as if it's a circus attraction. Two murder suspects, scheming Velma and the even more calculating Roxie vie for the attention of corrupt-but-irresistible lawyer Billy Flynn so that they can be cleared -- and become famous in the meantime. Satellite roles include Roxie's ignored husband Amos prison matron "Mama" Morton , and pushover reporter Mary Sunshine.
The two leading ladies are fantastic, especially when together. And, as should be for a show with Fosse choreography, the dancing is impeccable throughout.


We met friends in Dallas last night at the Park Cities Club for dinner. We had a wonderful time as it was the first time that the six of us had gotten together since my 70th birthday party in Santa Fe.

Both couples live in Dallas, but did not know one another until they met at my birthday party. We met the Waldies on a Mediterranean cruise 2 years ago and we met the Cook's on a cruise to the Panama Canal two years before. Little did we know at the time that we had so much in common (besides loving to cruise!) The Cooks have a place in Crested Butte and so did we, the Waldies have a place in Santa Fe ... and so do we ... and we also discovered that Walter and Ray went to the same schools in Dallas. Talk about a small world! We had a great time comparing travel experiences and all the good times we have shared over the past few years. I'm sure that we'll continue to make it a habit of getting together frequently as a six-some since we enjoy each other's company so much.

I have a lunch date, so I'd better get ready. Frank will be going to the Stars game tonight and I'll stay home and watch the next chapter in the lives of the hopefuls on American Idol.

More to come later. XOXO, Pcasso

No comments: