Wednesday, January 2, 2008

REFLECTIONS AND REMEMBERANCES

Today has been one of those interesting and wonderful but not too busy days. There was a meeting at the Diocese of Fort Worth and I was going to go with Frank to check on some of my paintings there. However, things don't always work out the way you expect them to, so after a quick bite of lunch, I came back home and headed for my studio. It's the free-standing building at the back of our lot and a wonderful place to get away from it all and paint until my heart's content. It's climate controlled, with a TV set, stereo system, telephone, computer, refrigerator and all the art supplies that a painter could ever want. Thanks to my surprise gift of a Porta-Potty at Christmas time, I now have all the comforts of home. All that is missing is Harry ;-)This was the first time in several weeks that I have even picked up a brush and I was suffering from art withdrawal. I am still working from photographs from our trip to China. I have a feeling that this will be a never ending source of material. I also have over 20,000 transparencies that I have shot all over the world over the past 30+ years in my studio, so I have material that I will never get around to painting! All I have to do is set up my projector (doesn't that sound antiquated in this time of cyberspace an electronics) and take myself to another world that I have visited, from Egypt to Antarctica, Tuscany to Alaska, Greece to Australia. When I look at these images, they bring back to mind wonderful memories of times past. I could paint every day for the rest of my life and not run out of subjects. Guess I'd better get started :-)
Today I elected to paint on 300 pound paper that I treated with texture to give it a finish that feels almost like leather. I used acrylic and painted this young Chinese woman admiring herself in her mirror. The idea came from a photograph that I took while we were in Shanghai. The young women in China are lovely and always wonderful subjects to paint. The painting itself is long and thin, just like the women there. It's different from most of my paintings, 10 x 22 inches, has no black edges, but I felt that this particular painting called for this format.It can be framed without glass and looks like an oil painting even though it's actually painted in acrylic. I hope you like it. I call it "Reflections".
It's time for me to go and fix our dinner. I'm sure that I'll write more in a day or two. Have a great rest of the week and be sure and check out our web page at CanvasbyCanvas.com
XOXO, Pcasso





1 comment:

Margie Whittington said...

Your painting is very elegant, Pcasso! I love the rich colors.
maw