Thursday, April 2, 2009

PAINTINGS, PARTIES, DWTS, AI AND THE TANGO!

The beginning of the week brought some really freaky weather to our area. As we were driving over to Fort Worth to deliver a painting, the skies contained the most threatening looking clouds that I've ever seen.








By God's grace we didn't have any really severe weather to accompany this dark, voluminous sky aside from a torrential downpour. When the skies in Texas look like this in the springtime, you're always prepared for tornado watches and warnings. I always feel that I need to sleep fully clothed during April and May in case I have to either hide in the bathroom or make a run for it. I'd hate to be caught in my tacky old nightgown for all the world to see. Tornadoes are the price you pay when you live in Texas, but the rest of the year makes it worth it!


On Saturday I went to a shower for a friend's daughter's wedding. The invitation was so darling that I thought I'd include a photo of it.


The girl on the invitation is almost as cute as the bride to be.


I was blessed to have sold 2 more of my paintings last week. One was a watercolor and when we delivered it, Frank said once again that my watercolors were among his favorites. With that in mind, I brought out the watercolors once again and started to paint.






The Irises in our front yard are blooming right now, so that seemed an appropriate subject for this little painting.







Of course, everyone always has orange juice on hand. Some of our friends with whom we go to church on Sunday morning will be coming over this weekend for a brunch, so we will need OJ for our Mimosas.

I then decided to paint something really funky, so this piece which I call "Travelin' Time" seemed to fit the bill. It makes a great greeting card.









There is a quotation from Oscar Wilde on it that reads, "I never travel without my diary. One should always have something SENSATIONAL to read on the train!" In my case that should read, "I never travel without my blog" ;-)

And speaking of blogs, I always play a CD while I'm writing ... seems to help my thought process. To get in the mood this morning, I'm playing a new Diana Krall CD entitled Quiet Nights. It's great!








It has wonderful, soft Latin American music on it and is perfect to set the mood for my ramblings. This style of music is one of my favorites ... however, I like ALL kinds of music. That's one reason that Frank and I are such big fans of American Idol.


And speaking of American Idol, my favorite this year is a young man whose name is Adam Lambert. (My folks lived on Lambert Avenue and Adam was the first and #1 man, so that may explain it!) He's a rocker and so are my son and grandson, so that may be my interest in his kind of music. We've been groupies for the past 40 years and have loved every minute of it.






Adam's also pretty easy on the eyes! Last week he changed his look completely as well as his style and sang a soft, romantic song. It was as good as the other things he does. He even looks a little like Elvis Pressley. I'm not a big fan of Elvis but we did have the opportunity to meet him in Las Vegas once.
Jimmy Dean is a friend of ours and he took us to Elvis' penthouse at the Landmark Hotel to meet him back in the 70's. I must admit that it was pretty exciting and he (Elvis) was very hospitable and a gracious host. Wish I'd had my camera with me at the time! Here is one photograph of me and Jimmy way back when.



This one is a shot I did manage to have taken by the Hotel photographer at the Desert Inn where Jimmy usually starred. The other young man in the photograph is Terry Blackwood who is one of the Blackwood Brothers. His group were backup singers for Elvis. They were all Gospel singers together before Elvis hit it "big" and he always treated his friends well. Terry used to come and stay with us when he was in the Metroplex area. Nice young man. As I understand it, he still has his group and they're still singing Gospel after all these years. Thank goodness the styles have changed. Don't you just love Jimmy's pants! I'm thankful that double-knit polyester is out.


Here is another shot of Adam with his Elvis look.




Here is a link to his performance this week. The song he is singing is "Play That Funky Music" and it's the ring tone that I have on my cell phone. I always know when it's my phone that is ringing! Check it out. He's HOT!








And speaking of hot, I also love Dancing With The Stars and my favorite dancer on it is Gilles Marini. He's gorgeous. Frank says that I have always liked the dark, greasy type and he may be right. I didn't marry one, but he is Hispanic, so that should count for something ;-)




This week he danced to the Argentinian Tango and scored the first perfect score of the season. That, to me, is the most romantic and sexy dance of all and he was WONDERFUL!









These photographs from the show pretty well show what I'm talking about. If you are interested in the tango, here is a clip that I found that is a perfect example of the dance. There are other clips at this site as well.




To fit the mood, here is one of my paintings with a fedora in it (another watercolor) that is similar to the ones that the dancers in Argentina wear.



There is also a wonderful movie about the tango with Robert Duvall. It's entitled "Assassination Tango" and I highly recommend it. We've watched it several times and it's very good.





Having been to Buenos Aries, we really appreciate the dance and the music. Years ago we saw the musical, "Tango Argentina" and that's when I fell in love with the dance. When done right, there's nothing like it. It I was younger and about 50 pounds lighter, Arthur Murray would have me in his arms right now teaching me how to do it ... or better still ... Gilles :-)


With this fantasy, I think I'll close for the day. Next week is Holy Week and we'll be going to mass each day. Easter Sunday is just around the corner. Enjoy this most blessed time.


XOXO, Pcasso

No comments: