Sunday, May 11, 2008

MOTHER'S DAY AND MARRIAGE

Yesterday was a very special day for me. We received a call from Franklin and Beth and they invited us to join them at Lombardi's Taverna in downtown Fort Worth to celebrate Mother's Day a day early.









All of you who have married children know that holidays can become complicated when you try to get everyone together on the actual day of celebration. Mother's Day is no exception, so we had our turn with the children a day early this year. We met them at 11:30 at the restaurant and had a lovely lunch. The boys were staying with friends, so this was an adult affair.









The restaurant is very nice and we had a great meal. Franklin and Beth had brunch and we had pasta which was delicious. It's nice to be able to make a choice as to which meal you want.









We all had "Bottomless Mimosas" and I can't think of a better way to start a celebration.









They also have pizza there that is cooked to order in this wonderful copper oven. The atmosphere is charming and we had a great time.









As you know, I'm never without my camera and you never know what might be just around the corner. Yesterday there were the loveliest orchids in the ladies room so I just HAD to take a shot of them. I should have been a Boy Scout because my motto is always, "be prepared" :-)









When we finished the meal, Frank took a photograph of me and my baby for old time's sake. Just had to record the moment!








This was an extra special weekend for everyone because Franklin and Beth were celebrating their 15th wedding anniversary. They had spent the night before at the Worthington Hotel in Fort Worth, so that's how we ended up downtown for our Mother's Day celebration.Beth was a lovely bride. Being a professional photographer at the time, I had the pleasure of taking her wedding portrait. We had great fun at the sitting and the shots were really good if I do say so myself (with a subject like my beautiful daughter-in-law, how could I miss!) I didn't "shoot" the wedding as I decided many years ago that like the title of the Tom Cruise movie, photographing someone's wedding was very "Risky Business". Those were before the days of digital photography and you never knew what you had until it was developed long after the fact. I never wanted to do anything that I couldn't do over if necessary, and at weddings you only get one shot at it! Therefore, we hired someone else do that and it was a good choice as he was really a great wedding photographer.








They were married at St. Alban's and our beloved Bishop presided over the service. It was his first official function in the Diocese having just been consecrated Bishop the week before. We had all the "bells and smells" that go along with an Anglican service and it was wonderful.









The reception was at the Arlington Museum of Art and everyone seemed to have a wonderful time, especially the newlyweds. They ended the evening doing the Limbo! They were so happy then and their happiness grows as each year passes. They are blessed.









It's hard for me to realize that they have been married this long and that we will be celebrating our 50th this year. Time flies when you're having fun :-)

Today will be a quiet day. We went to church and then to breakfast and plan to watch a movie this afternoon and take it easy in general. When we returned from church I found a card on the front door from my granddaughter, Rachel and her family wishing me a Happy Mother's Day. It was such a pleasant surprise. I'm so sorry that I missed them but I had no idea that they were coming over. My life is so often filled with wonderful unexpected surprises and I am grateful for each and every one of them.






I hope that each of you have a lovely day with your families. Here is a Mother's Day blessing that a young priest friend sent me from New York yesterday. It touched my heart and I hope that it will touch yours as well.



BLESSING PRAYER FOR MOTHER'S DAY

God of Love, listen to this prayer. God of Holy People,
of Sarah, Ruth and Rebekah; God of holy Elizabeth, mother of John, of Holy Mary, Mother of Jesus, bend down Your ear to this request and bless the mother of our family.


Bless her with the strength of Your spirit, she who has taught her children how to stand and how to walk.


Bless her with the melody of Your love, she who has shared how to speak, how to sing and how to pray to You.

Bless her with a place at Your eternal dinner table, she who has fed and nurtured the life that was formed within her while still helpless but embraced in her love.


Bless her today, now, in this lifetime, with good things, with health.


Bless her with joy, love, laughter and pride in her children
and surround her with many good friends.


May she who carried life in her womb be carried one day to Your divine embrace: there, for all eternity, to rejoice with her family and friends.


This blessing and all graces, we pray, descend upon the mother of our family: in the name of the Father, and of the Son
and of the Holy Spirit.
Amen


(Edward Hays, PRAYERS FOR THE DOMESTIC CHURCH. Easton, Kansas: Forest of Peace Books, 1979).


Have a wonderful and happy week.

XOXO, Pcasso

1 comment:

Margie Whittington said...

Looks like you had a great Mother's Day Pat! I am so glad.
You have a lovely family. The poem was very touching.
Thanks for sharing your day!
love,
Margie