Saturday, December 29, 2007

SEASON'S GREETINGS, CANINE CAPERS AND CHEERS!

Season's Greetings and Cheers!!

I have been having fun this holiday season with a friend who has a dog named Baxter. We are without pets at this stage of our lives as we travel a lot and it is difficult to find house sitters to come and take care of the animals. We did that when we had our Miss Abigail but decided when she was no longer with us that we would wait until our traveling days were over before we settled down and got another cat or dog or both.
In the meantime we have started to keep our son's dog, Harry, from time to time now that he is better behaved. He is a registered Pomapoo but we all think that someone possibly might have gotten into the back yard whose identity will remain anonymous. Even our nephew who is a veterinarian said that he had never seen a breed that looked like Harry. Even though he might not be a purebred Pomapoo, he has a very uppity name ... Harold McDuff Salazar. Now how's THAT for a combination of ethnicticity! Harry's new pen pal's name is Baxter. They have become great friends through Email and I thought I might share some of the correspondence they exchanged over the holidays with you. It's been great fun for me even though the dogs don't read too well yet. They're still very young.
Below are a couple of letters that Harry sent to his friend, Baxter with a little help from GrandmaMama. Thought you animal lovers might get a kick out of them. They have been "corresponding" for over a month now.
Have a Happy and Healthy New Year and Go Cowboys!!!

XOXO, Pcasso

Dear Baxter,
Yesterday was my second birthday. I had a wonderful time with my family. They made me this beautiful crown and told me that I was a prince of a fellow. In order to prove that to me, the even made me this lovely cupcake with purple frosting which is the royal color and a very special surprise.
I'm sorry that you were not invited to the celebration, but maybe next year when I'm a little older they'll let me have my friends and not just family. They're still not too sure that I'll behave myself at a party.
I'm behaving more and more as time goes on. I spent the night at GrandmaMama and Boompa's house last week and I was such a good boy that they invited me back to stay overnight next week. Maybe I'll get to sleep at the foot of their bed this time!
I wish that you had known Boompa's kitty, Miss Abigale. In fact I wish that I had known her too! I understand that she was a very nice cat and loved do dress up at Christmas time, pose with her favorite stuffed Christmas Moose,


and she even liked to hide under the tree.
Her friend Puffy, your deceased kitty brother, liked to dress up as well. Now they're together in Kitty heaven, probably opening their presents and playing with catnip toys.
Unfortunately Miss Abby was a bit of a snob. She always drank her milk out of a Waterford stem during the holidays while wearing her Santa hat, so what does THAT tell you about her personality!
I hope that you have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year with lots of new toys and treats.
Your friend, Harry Salazar

Dear Harry,
Happy Birthday 2 years old. That is wonderful. I am 7 since October. Maybe next year I can come to your birthday party. Your crown is beautiful. My stocking is hanging over the mantle. My stocking is bigger than anybodys. I hope it is full of toys and treats. Do you think I am spoiled? I am sure you are to. Again Happy Birthday and you are so handsome in your pictures. Harry Merry Christmas.. Fondly Baxter

Good morning, Baxter!
I spent the night at Boompa and GrandmaMama's house last night along with Ian and Connor while our parents went to a party . This was a first for me. They took these photographs of me so you can see how I've grown and how handsome I'm becoming.
I am having a lot of fun at their house and have become a very good boy since my surgery last month. My bark is a little higher now, but I behave myself much better, don't run around the house like a crazy dog anymore and I now ask to go outside when I need to tend to nature. My "Grandparents" now say that I am welcome to come and stay at their house any time since I behave myself like a little gentleman.
I hope you have a very Merry Christmas. I have asked for some toys, treats and a steak dinner every once in a while. What do you want to find in your stocking???
Your friend,
Harry Salazar

Dear Harry-
Merry Christmas to you too!!! As always, I ran the show at my mommy's house and ran around with tissue paper in my mouth. I kept trying to steal the shower thingys that Auntie Lisa gave everyone and could not understand why she would not let me keep it. I got a great new toy that I discovered yesterday and have already torn it apart.
I sent you a picture with my favorite golf ball.
I understand it was Bailey's that he would play with, so that makes it very special.
Merry Christmas
Love,
Baxter

Dear Baxter,
I have had a wonderful past 24 hours at my GrandmaMama and Boompa's house. They let me have steak for dinner and this morning I had some bacon for breakfast. They aren't supposed to feed me at the table, so they put it in a special bowl so I could enjoy my treats. I don't get things like that very often at home ... just dry dog food and water. What a bore!
We watched 2 movies together last night before I had to go to bed. Early this morning Boompa left for San Antonio and the Alamo Bowl. I think A&M is playing and that is one of his favorite college teams since he is a New Mexico Aggie. He is going to the game with his good friend and football buddy, Robert. GrandmaMama stayed here to take care of me and my brothers, Ian and Connor.
Even though she is watching her weight and eating habits, we all had a Krispy Kreme donut along with our bacon and hot chocolate. That was a real treat for her. Of course, I can't have chocolate because it will make me sick, but it smelled very delicious and wonderful. I spent most of my time while they were eating looking out the windows in the kitchen and watching the birds and squirrels. That was really fun. I got to bark a lot and didn't even get in trouble. Boompa will be back tomorrow in time for the Cowboy game. He's a real football fan. Maybe he'll take us one day when the new stadium is completed in Arlington. If he can get tickets for us, will your Mom let you come to a game with me?
GrandmaMama didn't take any photographs of the boys this time but she took some of me with my very favorite new Christmas toy. I'm such a lucky boy to have so many people who love me. We must get together sometime so you can meet them all.
Your friend,
Harold McDuff Salazar
P.S. When she tried to take my toy away from me, I gave her "The Look". I learned that from her when I was very small. I heard her say that when she would give her children, Connor and Ian and even Boompa "the Look", they would behave themselves or they would know they were going to be in real trouble. She said that it works every time, so when I gave her my "Look", she left my toy alone. It is a good thing to know!

No comments: